Monday, October 24, 2011

Spider Scavenger Hunt

Ok, I have to show you this because it actually turned out to be HILARIOUS! Every year I take my kids on a Fall Scavenger Hunt up the canyon, but this year I wanted to try something different. So while my kids were at school, I went and bought a few packs of those cheap plastic spider rings. Then I went out in my backyard and scattered them EVERYWHERE. I put them in the bushes, on tree branches, in the garden, in the grass--all over the place. Then I waited for it to get REALLY dark. We don't have any city lights where we live, so when it gets dark, it gets really dark. Then I told my kids to go grab a jacket and a flashlight. I handed them each a ziplock bag and sent them outside. I told them to collect as many spiders as they could. They were like, "WHAT?!!" It turned out to be SO funny because they were suddenly terrified of the backyard! They held onto each other and just giggled. Once they figured out what they were looking for, they went nuts.



You would not believe how scary it is to see a big spider at night and not know if it was real or not! They kept kicking the spiders before they would pick them up, just in case they ran away!
It was SO creepy!
When they had gathered all they could find, we came inside and had brownies and chocolate pudding with white chocolate spider webs!



I think we will make scavenger hunts in the dark a new tradition at our house! Happy Hunting!

Linking up here:

2 comments:

  1. What a fun idea! I don't know if I would be brave enough, I hate spiders! Love the spiderwebs over pudding. Is it just white chocolate that you made into webs? www.cutebugdesigns.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! I will have to remember this for next year! Your chocolate webs are so cute. Thanks so much for linking up to The Creative Spark. Happy Halloween!!!
    Jenn :)

    ReplyDelete